Trump 'Disappointed' in Bachmann for Declining Debate
Real-estate giant Donald Trump expressed outrage Friday regarding Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann’s refusal to participate in a Newsmax/ION television sponsored debate that he is moderating, the National Journal
“You know who I’m very disappointed in? Michele Bachmann,” Trump said in a call to radio host Don Imus’s show, which also airs on the Fox Business Network.
“She’s come up to see me four times. Four times. She’d call me, she’d ask me for advice, she said I should be her vice president, you know, if she wins, she’d like to think about me for the vice presidency, all of these things,” Trump continued. “And then after all of that, she announced she’s not going to do the debate. It’s unbelievable. You know, it’s called loyalty. It’s actually called loyalty. How do you do that? I mean, it’s amazing to me.”
Trump also said on the Imus program that the candidates have expressed concerns about him moderating the debate while also holding out the possibility he may enter the race as an independent. Indeed, Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus has strongly urged all of the GOP contenders against it.
"I think that having a successful businessman serving as a moderator has a lot of value, but the issue here is whether the moderator should be a person who is still batting around the idea of running as an independent," Priebus said in an interview on Fox News this week.
So far, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich and former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum are the sole participants in the December 27 event, scheduled in the crucial lead up to the first-in-the-nation Iowa caucuses on January 3.